Notice of Patient Privacy Practices
MICHIGAN CARDIOVASCULAR INSTITUTE P.C.
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
THIS PAGE IS A SUMMARY ONLY. THE COMPLETE NOTICE CAN BE PRINTED HERE.
A federal law called the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”) creates new rights for patients of most healthcare providers. One of these rights is to information regarding the provider’s privacy practices. Under federal regulations, we must provide you with a copy of this Notice of Privacy Practices and ask that you sign a document stating that we gave the notice to you. You may review the Notice of Privacy Practices immediately or at a later time. You should read the Notice carefully because it explains:
- How we may use health information about you.
- That we, like other healthcare providers, may use and disclose health information about you as part of your treatment, to obtain payment for services provided, and for various administrative purposes. We are not required to obtain your permission for these uses and disclosures.
- Other circumstances where we may use or disclose information about your health without obtaining your permission.
- The rights you have with respect to your health information maintained by MCVI, including:
- Your right to have a copy of this Notice.
- Your right to review and copy health information maintained by MCVI.
- Your right to an accounting of certain disclosures of your health information made by MCVI.
- Your right to request that we communicate with you at alternative locations, mailing addresses or telephone numbers.
- Your right to request restrictions on how we use your health care information.
- Your right to request an amendment to information in our records that you think is in error.
- Your right to file a complaint if you believe your privacy rights have been violated.
We encourage you to read this notice and keep a copy of this notice for your records.
THE POLICIES IN THIS NOTICE BECOME EFFECTIVE ON SEPTEMBER 23, 2013.